Thursday, August 20, 2009

Marmot Pass - Revisited

In a previous post , I spoke of a trip I took to Marmot Pass, a glorious wonderland located in the Olympic Mountain range, west of Bainbridge Island. 

That trip, being my first to the region was a great time indeed, but also very much a learning opportunity for me in that headed into the trip, there were a lot of unknowns.  Suffice it to say, my camping buddy and I had done some research of the area ahead of time, but really, we went into the trip as a reconnaissance undertaking, the insights to be better applied some other time. 

Sure enough, at the conclusion of the trip, we both agreed that next time we found ourselves on the pass, we would be well served to camp and hike elsewhere.

And so it was, a few weeks later, I found myself thinking about Marmot Pass, looking for any good excuse to revisit the area once again.

Chris and Katie-dog climb to camp

Then it happened.

My brother-in-law Chris called, indicating a unexpected swell of vacation days.  This being the case, he was interested in spending a few days camping.  As Chris is not especially familiar with the area in and around the Olympic mountains, he decently deferred decisions to me.  With pent-up enthusiasm similar to some kid eagerly itching to spend a few dollars of birthday money from Grandma, I emphatically declared (albeit to myself) that Chris and I would be spending a few days in the backcountry of the Buckhorn wilderness, home turf of Marmot Pass.

At the pass, Katie-dog looking for Marmots to chase

Unlike my previous overnight visit, Chris and I would be spending three days at the pass.  As far as I am concerned, a three-day camp trip is about perfect really, allowing for an extended foray of the area, but is not too long such that extended supplies are required.  Also a benefit -  excessive stink does not have time to fully percolate into an abhorrent funk.
Home sweet home

Over three days time, Chris and I were able to hike along the many high pass trails, politely but firmly imposing their eternalness to this region.  As with any welcoming host, these trails invited us into their home, which in this case generally consisted of narrow trails precariously balanced atop sheer ridgelines, only to be encompassed by seemingly endless alpine valleys.  

At times, an ill-advised misstep would equate to certain injury, perhaps death.  Opposites attract, and it seems that nature has a funny way of partnering peculiar bedfellows?


Approaching the peak of Buckhorn Mountain (elevation 6,988ft)

Chris, descending Burckhorn Mountain

Why is it that the majestic so often accompanies peril?  A precarious partnership perhaps, but one that is breathtaking and of unquestionable beautiful; nature at its finest.  

One of the Marmot Pass valleys

It would seem that one could walk for days 

Three days had past, time to walk out



No comments: