Wednesday, March 11, 2009

It's Kind Of Like Green Acres



Sometimes I feel like my life is but an episode of the former 1960's CBS comedy Green Acres.  You the know the show - a married couple moves from Manhattan to a farm in the country.  Episode after episode, this couple - one of whom wants to be a farmer, the other wanting to remain a city dweller - struggles to maintain balance in their lives.

About a year and half into my life here in the PNW, I'm sometimes torn between my previous life in Chicago and my current one in rural western Washington.  

Meanwhile, Kelly continues to solidly cement her love for the country and if she had her way, would move to a proper farm tomorrow if she could.  While I am continuing to find joy in life away from the big city, I'm not quite ready for full fledged farm life.

However, I do quite enjoy the benefit of a huge yard and the ability to *farm* within our garden.  Over the past couple weeks, Kelly and I have dedicated countless hours expanding our garden (versus last year) and preparing for this season.  

We are especially excited to try out our new cloches which should allow us to jump-start our seed sowing and also enable a much longer growing season.



It turns out that building the cloches was pretty straightforward, but Kelly did volunteer for a particularly messy job which I was did not want any part of during the construction process.  

It turns out that Home Depot does not carry 2" PVC clips as we needed, so Kelly had to fabricate about 60 pieces, which besides being a particularly tedious effort, did lead to her also getting filthy.  

The good news is that these little clips provide a great seal for the cloche ends and without them, the benefit of the cloche is not maximized.  

I'll be thanking Kelly this spring for her efforts as we enjoy some fresh veggies for dinner.




No comments: