Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Pink Can Be Cool Sometimes


Pink, but very cool

I really like the wide variety of trees to be found throughout Bainbridge.  Since my arrival, I’ve been exposed to many new and differing species versus what seemed native to Chicago and the Midwest.

I’ve especially come to enjoy the spring Cherry blossoms.  Perhaps they are my favorite.

I’m no arborist, and I certainly cannot tell you much about these blossoms - other than I think they look really cool this time of year (although ironically I find them to be very ugly during the winter).



Maybe these tress were easily spotted in Chicago and I simply did not take notice.  If so, shame on me.  But now that I’ve acquired a fondness, it seems that these days I’m spotting the pink beauties sprinkled throughout the island when I least expect. 

At the risk of sounding hokey … when passing, I do catch myself slowing just a bit, taking pause to examine the tree.  As I study the structure, I find myself wondering how long this particular tree has been standing.  I want to know how did it take its shape, and whether or not this particular tree will later produce tasty fruit.   

All questions of interest, but I concede, not necessarily of importance or relevance.

Before shattering my brief respite, I try to make mental notes, trusting that I’ll remember where the best trees are positioned.  Gullibly, I tell myself I’ll be back for another visit later this summer, albeit this time to inspect for and pick a mid-afternoon snack.

I’ll see about that.  Maybe I’ll add such task my list.

Anyway, I first took notice to the spring Cherry blossoms while jogging last year.  My Sunday morning running group maintains a regular route through the Grand Forest.  En route, we almost always pass a farm offering the most spectacular stretch of blossoms.  In actuality, it was a parade of blossoms next this farm that first gripped my attention.

Yesterday, I took a moment to snap a few pictures of the farm blossoms, ensuring that I capture the beauty before the pink fades, transitioning to a less magnificent, white foliage.

Next to the farm

I’m not alone in my spring blossom appreciation. Kelly also likes the blooms, but for distinctively different reasons.  She likes the smell.   I concur; the scent is delectable.  


Lucky for us, there are an abundance of Cherry blossoms to be found within close proximity of our house.  


This being the case, Kelly has ample opportunity to emulate Murphy, sniffing her way around the block, while Murphy, uninterested in the blossoms, retains focus on more important canine-related duties.

Looking towards our house

Close-up 


By the way, it’s worth noting that one might deduce that Kelly is experiencing respiratory failure during these walks, however, such conclusion would be incorrect.  This not easily forgotten performance is Kelly simply ‘maximizing’ her opportunity to enjoy the sweet-smelling journey to be had whilst circling the block.
 

I know…but you must appreciate that it’s these peculiar and idiosyncratic mannerisms I love about Kelly.


3 comments:

dave said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ling Pyng said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ling Pyng said...

gorgeous shots! I'm pleased to hear that you're enjoying your neighborhood. Have you seen any forsthia? if so, snap some pics. They bring me happy memories of my childhood in Korea :)