Monday, April 13, 2009

Thanks, But I Prefer the CD Experience over the Billboard 'Hot 100'

In November of 1955, Billboard Magazine Published its initial Top 100.  In theory, the list categorized music as characterized by the following:  the Best Sellers In StoresMost Played By Jockeys and Most Played In Jukeboxes.  As you might imagine, over the years, Billboard has modified the quantitative ranking criteria - eventually settling on radio airplay as the primary indicator for what is now the 'Hot 100'.  

While Billboard may introduce and track musical awareness for the masses, I prefer to follow a different path in my search for new music.

A few years back, my good friend John approached me with a idea – organize a group of his musical aficionado  friends together and assign each of them the task of assembling a music CD.  More specifically, each month one participating friend will compile a book of songs which they hope to introduce to others participating.

The CD Experience was born.  An idea as simple as it is genius.

Currently, the CD Experience – in its third season - is publishing Volume 3.  April is my month, and I’m really excited about my compilation.  Seattle offers one of the best music stations in the country (KEXP - 90.3fm), and I’ve been introduced to some fabulous artists since my arrival the the area.

It’s worth noting that my lovely wife holds a quite differing opinion of the CD Experience.  Actually, Kelly quite despises most of the CD Experience offerings.  Of course, as I look at it, one would be obtuse to defer musical commentary to Kelly, as by and large, her musical filter generally sifts out anything that isn’t: 

  • Part of the Grease I or Grease II soundtrack
  • Kenny Rogers
  • Somehow associated with a John Hughes movie
  • An artist/band she saw live at the South Dakota State Fair sometime during her youth
On other hand, I am absolutely addicted to the CD Experience.  As a direct result of this initiative, I’ve crossed paths with music which I’m quite certain I would otherwise have never been exposed. 

As I finalize my CD to be mailed out to others – most of whom I’ve never met – I nervously hold my breath.  It’s human nature to want positive reinforcement and feedback and I’m no different in my selfish desire for peer approval.

In case you’re wondering about my April line-up; click the song name to have a listen. 




NAME
ARTIST
1
The Hermit Crabs
2
Magnetic Fields
3
Lal Meri
4
Coldplay
5
Papas Fritas
6
Björk
7
Eddie Vedder
8
Estelle
9
Wilco
10
Say Hi
11
Starfucker
12
The Rapture
13
Architecture In Helsinki
14
Eleni Mandell
15
Pizzicato Five
16
Dale Watson
17
Alena Diane
18
Flight of the Conchords

No comments: