Sunday, August 23, 2009

Swim. Bike. Run.




About twelve years ago I was talked into registering for the Chicago Triathlon, the largest multisport event in the world.  As the event approached, I found myself intimidated by the challenges of the combined swim, bike, and run effort.  Sadly, in the end I was a coward; I sold my entry to someone else.

Approximately five-thousand people partook in the race that day; I was not one of them.

But a few years later, I did muster the courage to again sign-up for a triathlon.  I told myself there would be no walking away; this time I would finish the race, which I did and I was instantly hooked.

And so it was, a small race in rural Illinois now serves as the anchor for what is my favorite pastime, my passion, the sport of triathlon.

I’ve never forgiven myself for selling that Chicago Triathlon slot.  I’ve gotten so much enjoyment from triathlon over the years, and had I not sold that spot, I could have even more memories.


As I headed into my third year of competing, I decided I would buy a proper Time-Trial bicycle.  Commonly known as TT bikes, these rigs fit and handle differently from their road bike cousins, in that the frame angles distribute the rider into an aggressive, more aero position.

TT bikes are meant for one thing – speed.  Generally, a TT bike handles poorly and is heavier than a standard road bike, but under optimal conditionals, a TT bike is as comfortable as it is fast. 

My TT ride is a Trident, handmade by a small frame builder in Maine - Aegis bicycles.  In the world of high-end bikes, my 2003 frame is ancient.  Many would argue that she is better suited for a museum than on a racecourse.  But I love this frame and as much as I covet a newer, sexier ride, I simply cannot let go of my Aegis.  

There is often an odd attachment between a person and their bike.  I have many bikes, but my TT bike is special, I hold particular fondness for her.  Often affections like the one I describe are strengthened with emotional glue, better known as memories, of which I could fill a library if I choose to document all of them.

For me, this bike represents my first ‘high-end’ bike, a milestone of sorts I suppose.  The purchase receipt reads just over $3,300 and I remember thinking that amount was too high, that I was crazy to spend so much for a bike.  I debated long and hard about that purchase, mainly was it wise to spend that much.  Doubts crammed my thoughts, but in the end, I decided that I would not let uncertainty and fear drive my actions as it did in that Chicago Triathlon a few years earlier.

I laugh now.  Not only to I cherish this bike, over the years I’ve continued to pour heaps of money into this ride, replacing every piece of equipment from that original purchase – less the frame, fork, and headset.  Today, I posses an insurance binder for double what I initially paid.  I would have never anticipated such a thing.

For eight years this bike has been a faithful companion, like an old friend – there for me.  I’ve peddled this machine for hundreds of hours, equating to thousands of miles.  Be it in a race or simply a training ride, my Aegis has served as catalyst for great conversation and powerful introspection.    She is battle tested and I have an unquestionable trust in her ability and companionship.  There is no denying I love this machine.

I’m sure there will come a day when I am forced to retire my Aegis, a sad day that will be.  Of course I could never sell her.  But until then, I am quite certain that my unfailing partner will be there for me as I call for her.

No comments: