Monday, March 16, 2009

The Murph

Kelly and I have had Murphy for a long time, the better part of thirteen years to be specific.

I suspect that much like any long-time dog owner, Kelly and I have fully integrated Murphy into our lives, perhaps too much some would say. What started off as a spur-of-the-moment visit to a pet shop has gelled into a long lasting affair with the dog we often times love to hate.

But we love her regardless.

Sure, as a puppy Murphy was adorable; her long and soft ears often proving a formidable obstacle even she was not able to fully navigate. It was then, these quirks made me smile.

Of course Kelly found this simply adorable.

Over time, Murphy provided cause for me to be evicted from my apartment. Apparently my landlord was serious about “no pets”.

Throughout the years Murphy has proved to be a worthy ambassador, opening the doors of introduction for what have become many long-standing friendships for Kelly and me … less that little kid who failed to keep his ice cream cone at safe distance.

It would appear that Murphy does take pleasure in ice-cream atop a sugar cone. Who knew? Lucky for Kelly and me, the kid’s parents found the entire episode endearing.

I cannot help but wonder if that kid has made his peace with dogs yet.

Recently, our vet suggested that Murphy transition to a diet for elderly canines.  Apparently her kidneys lack the full digestive power of her youth.  Yikes, where did all the years go? Daddy’s little puppy suddenly is grown.

The vet simply states the obvious; these days Murphy’s old age cannot be disputed. She reminds me of my grandpa in his late years. She to seems to be slowing, the spring in her step less sprightly than in years past, her hearing loss is obvious, and she’s become increasing ornery.

An old curmudgeon is what she’s really become.

But we love her regardless.

I like to think that our recent relocation to a more rural setting has been good for Murphy in her golden years.

She really appears to enjoy our big yard and is always keen to locate potential bread scraps the birds might have overlooked. She likes to walk the Grand Forest trails where infinite aromas are abundant - a lottery of sorts satisfying her incessant sense of smell and endless searches to discover something akin to her version of lotto.

Also, did I mention that Murphy is trending towards increasing levels of stubbornness? Sometimes I want to leave her in the forest.

Alas, we love her regardless. Unconditionally.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dave, I really enjoy your blog. I need to read it more regularly but for now I can avoid my workplace stress by catching up on what is going on with you and Kelly. P.S. I think it would be nice to do a blog on Moo Moo as well.